FIRST YOU NEED A CAPTAIN
Everyone has this friend in their friend group. It’s the guy who always rallies the others to get off the couch and head out for a drink. It’s the mom who remembers to sign all of her kids’ school forms and never accidentally leaves a kid waiting at an after school activity. It’s that person that is often referred to as the “mayor” of whatever circle you run in. This is the person that brings the energy, makes sure that everyone has a blast, and believes that YOU ARE CHAMPIONS.
THEN YOU NEED A TEAM
The team is made up of 10-15 participants of mixed ages who will compete in competitions ranging from relay races to silly dress-up games. You’ll want to recruit your team members wisely. Finding a mix of athletic prowess, creative genius, and barely tolerable enthusiasm is no easy feat.
NOW IT’S TIME TO GET TO WORK
The team captain is ultimately accountable for getting it done, but this is absolutely a team effort. Here’s a preview of what you’ll need to do:
1. Register your team (Team Captain) - You'll need a rockin’ team name. Something that really captures your essence.
2. Once your team is registered, we'll set up your fundraising page. Each team must raise a minimum of $1,000 to be eligible to compete. (That's not as hard as it sounds! We'll help you strategize and set up crowdfunding, sponsors, and company matching to help you reach and surpass your goal!)
3. Each team member must register individually for the team they are joining.
1. Once your team is registered, you will receive your team color. Embrace your inner color wheel in any way you choose to show your team color and spirit on the day of the event.
2. Each team member will receive one white Day of Champions t-shirt. This is your blank canvas. Make it shine.
2. Put together a spirit squad. This is a great place to make use of your creative friends (and young kids). Create a team Facebook Group to get everyone PUMPED UP and talk strategy.
3. Get EXCITED!! This is going to be EPIC.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A CHAMPION
Each team will compete in 5 rounds of competition, ranging from silly games of human battleship to tests of obstacle course endurance. Each event will have points allocated and will be awarded based on the rules of the competition.
In addition, points will be given to the team with the BEST SPIRIT, as determined by our judges.
Points will also be awarded to the final tally for total funds raised, based on one percent of the total. (e.g. if a team raises $2,500, then 25 points will be added to that team’s total)
The CHAMPION will be announced at closing ceremonies and awarded the soon-to-be-legendary DAY OF CHAMPIONS TROPHY!
WHO ULTIMATELY WINS
Next summer, 500+ children who will attend Experience Camps in one of 4 locations around the country. Each one of them has endured the unimaginable loss of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver that has changed their lives forever. They often feel alone and like nobody understands...until they get to camp. And then they are surrounded by other kids who “get it” and they finally realize that all of these feelings they’re having are normal. It is powerful, transformative, joyful, and healing. It is the best week of the year for each child who attends. And that’s the reason we’re doing this.